Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working in New York, pt. 2

I have a suspicion that this is what the majority of you are most interested in (at least for right now), and I can't say I blame you. I must avoid being too specific here to protect the people and or organizations in question, so don't get too excited. I have applied for dozens of jobs, but there are 3 jobs that I am actively competing for, and each would be a worthy attempt at reaching my career goal at some point. This is good news and encouraging. I will provide details beyond your wildest expectations, but not until I have secured employment.

Time off and in the city has given me a chance to reflect on the idea of working here. The thought energizes me because I see some amazing things happening here, and there are ordinary people doing them. When you are detached from it, the big picture almost seems too good to be true. I know I have always imagined corporate America as a matrix of rigid, emotionless beings working with terrifying precision to create things that I could never understand. Personally, I blame Hollywood for the miscommunication. Those people must exist, but I am fortunate to face an industry of very human beings; I think I'll fit right in. The real struggle appears to be finding something that makes you happy.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like your sentence about how the people you've found are human beings - both because it's a great discovery and because of your elegant use of a semicolon :)

Amber said...

And it reminded me of Community!