Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Friday, January 15, 2010

next time I am calling movers

As many of you know, Sarah is moving away from New York City. She graciously offered us her bed as she no longer needs it. I will not say I jumped in to this hastily; we examined the bed, measuring it to make sure it would not crowd our already stifled living space. Logistics should have been more of a concern. We had 1.3 miles to traverse with a mattress and a metal bed frame (the distance between our apartment and Sarah's in Crown Heights), and it really didn't seem that bad distributed between three people. But it took two trips which translated into several hours (including a trip back for forgotten tools.) I never imagined something so simple could demand the better part of a day.

It was much easier to do things with a car at my disposal. Still, I will cherish times like these when I have to make do without one. After all, we got it done, and we didn't even try to drag it on to the subway or the bus. Sorry to disappoint, Stacey. I did take pictures though. Here's one from twitter:




Alan and Dan carrying our new mattress down Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn.

So if you have a car, go pick something big up and let me know how easy it was. I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Is it just my computer? I didn't get the image of the picture.
I hope you enjoy sleeping on the bed :)

Amber said...

I didn't get it either.

We've been moving car load after car load this week! It was a pain in the but...but yes it was easy! :)

Christopher Hiatt said...

sorry about that. Try it now.

Kathy said...

Now I see it! Interesting how no one is looking at you like it's a strange thing to see.

Harmony said...

Amber is right...pain in the butt...however, at least we had the cars to tote all that crap!

Kathy said...

Why are you wearing an orange feather boa?! I thake it this is a "pre- Dinah" picture. I don't think you have time to pose in feather boas these days!