Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Monday, January 25, 2010

it's raining. sideways.

Today's weather is the worst I have seen in New York. Raindrops barrage pedestrians from an opaque sky as the wind rips through the streets and avenues at overwhelming speed. From my vantage point in this Starbucks I can see people doing their best to stay dry and upright. I have lost count of the umbrellas this day has devoured before my eyes. The public garbage can on the corner is like a graveyard for umbrellas of every size, shape and color. I almost lost mine on the way in, but I think I made it before the wind became self aware. And there goes another one. Imagine the disappointment. It is still beyond me how any degree of professional attire can be maintained here.

I have now entered the home stretch of my first month here. It is amazing how fast time is moving - the first week felt like a lifetime to Amber and I, but now things seem to be progressing in double time. At the beginning of last week I was sure I was going to have a job by now, and it displeases me to say that my expectations were not realistic. It takes time to hire someone new, and I need to be okay with that. So, I have spent the beginning of this week doing my best to do that while pursuing my interests. It pleases me to say that I am still making progress.

Yesterday I slept through church and awoke disappointed. Now that Sunday is mine to observe at the sabbath again, I have really come to love the time away from everything even in my unemployed state. There is still places I haven't been, even neighborhoods I have never set foot in. So I decided to wander for a while until I found a good place to read. When I emerged from the subway, I found myself beneath Radio City Music Hall. Unfortunately the weather was similar to today: freezing rain and wind (although not nearly as angry), so I wasn't able to spend any time in nearby Central Park as I had hoped. As I walked south from the Apple store at its southeast corner, I came upon St. Patrick's Cathedral. After slipping inside through dirty puddles and an empty narthex, I was amazed at the massive and ornate structure. Absolutely beautiful and serene, the naves' vacuous corners captured each whisper, cough and movement and held them there, sheltering the people below in a blanket of stillness. I have toured cathedrals throughout Europe that were far more grand, but I have never experienced such peace in a large room. So, I sat there for a couple of hours, ESV Bible in hand, and spent time praying and reflecting. I sincerely hope I do this every Sunday, whether I miss church or not. Taking time to renew my mind was so important. Don't lose sight of that.

Thank you for reading.
Up Next: How falafel has changed everything.

2 comments:

Carter said...

The last sentence of this post just made my day.

Amber said...

Oh you and that falafel!