Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food in New York, pt. 2

Ladies and gentlemen from elsewhere,
the anticipated Mamoun's Falafel in Greenwich Village:



People all over New York (and the internet) have been raving about this place for years, so I am just adding to the noise at this point. I don't care though. It's worth it. Mamoun's will give me falafel for $2.50. Apparently they have been doing this for almost 40 years, and every time I eat one I can barely believe it is happening. It is like eating fruit from the garden of Eden. They have shawarma, too, which is a lot like a gyro. I haven't eaten one yet because they are $5 and I am still obsessed with how cheap the falafel is.

Falafel, as you may know, is made from ground chick peas or fava beans and deep fried. Thus it is vegetarian, although I have my doubts because it tastes like delicious meat. Maybe that's a bad thing, but my confused taste buds want more every time, and my hemorrhaging pockets can sometimes scrape together enough quarters to grant their wishes. Thank you, Mamoun!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the updates! If I ever visit I will definitely want to check out that falafel.