Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

a full train is no excuse...

I have to start by telling you this. I was in the 2 train on my way to Manhattan with Alan the other day when the loudspeaker pumped out this bit of comedy:

"Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please. A full train is no excuse for illegal sexual activity. If you believe you have been the victim of a crime, please notify the nearest MTA official or law enforcement officer."

It's funny, but it's also pretty sad. I can't believe this needs to be said. Anyway, I just thought you should know. Today I got turned down for my first job. This shouldn't be the first time, so it was good to get it out of the way. Tomorrow, I'm back to doing more applications. It is great to actually have jobs open that I qualify for, because I know lots of people have very few leads. In other news, I saw a poster for a homelessness organization fighting for homeless children. They estimate that there are nearly 13,000 children going to sleep on the street in New York City every night. I think I will get involved with this organization while we live here.

Apples. For all you Florida people, enjoy your citrus fruits. They are expensive up here and not nearly as good. Fortunately, New York has some of the best apples I have ever seen or tasted. Red Spy and Pippins top my list, and I will be purchasing some tomorrow at the Union Square Market.

There is way too much to say, but for now I am off to talk to Amber for a while. This long-distance engagement stuff is not easy. Please pray for us!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Sorry you got turned down for the job. I'm sure there is something else for you. They're crazy if they don't want you!

Harmony said...

We are definitely praying for you both! If anyone knows how rough it is, that would be Christian and I.
I am glad to see you keeping your spirits up against the cold and the recent cold shoulder. I know you'll find something...God always has a way of providing for us.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I always laugh when I hear that also. They should have one that says "The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is no excuse for illegal sexual whatever". Because I unfortunately had to experience that. Another story, another time.

Becca said...

We will be praying for you and Amber while you are apart, too. Matt was already here in FL for the last few months of our engagement. In the hard times I tried to remember that it made our reunions all the sweeter, and a whole uninterrupted week together during our honeymoon was even more blissful!!

So glad you have some job leads also!

Tamara said...

Bryan and I got married over spring break during college, but we went to different schools at the time, so we didn't even live in the same city *married* for 2 months while we finished the semester! But here we are, almost 11 years later. So, as long as you both make it work, distance ain't no thing.