Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wedding Planning

You have all heard at least once that engagement is difficult. Some of you know from experience that it is. Starting with the obvious: planning a wedding is hard. No matter how many times someone tells you that, I don't think it can sink in until you are in the middle of it. Sometimes I wonder how it became so complicated, or if it always has been historically. Of course there are expectations and desires, dreams of the perfect wedding. And in just as many cases, neither person really has an opinion. Either way, when it comes to putting together a wedding that will involve two families and lots of friends, there is something more benign than ordinary conflict that is much more difficult to understand, much less address. When you really think about it, it has to be more than the stress of planning a huge party that causes pressure. It is the forging together of two very different people that makes marriage one of the most difficult tasks. Like fusing two pieces of hard metal - that explosive reaction that creates light, sound and heat effects something nearly unbreakable. As hard as it can be, the process of weaving two lives together is wonderful, and I am often surprised by how satisfying these times can be.

One day, we will both be able to say, "After all, it was worth it." Today, I can say, "In the very beginning, it's worth it." After the energy is spent and the most charged moments have been endured, something stronger emerges, and that is worth any amount of work. So, the next time someone complains about engagement, ask them if it's worth it. I hope they say yes.

Look at me go - I'm turning in to one of those introspective bloggers. Oh well. Now, to watch Dan in Real Life with Rob and Sarah.

P.S. - When I opened my iBook tonight to work on my resume, I was reminded of why I love these things so much. Like a breathe of fresh air.

5 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I love Dan in Real Life. I can't watch it alone though, makes me sniffle.

P.S. I'm currently writing a song. It's real country style =)

Sarah said...

Chris, this was a great post. Fusing metal is a wonderful analogy.

Sarah, are you telling me you don't sniffle if you watch Dan in Real Life with others? Because I had both Rob and Chris with me and I still choked up!

cpl_miller said...

Joining two pieces of metal.... isn't all you need some good solder?

Amber said...

Dan in Real Life…I almost got teary eyed when we finalized our cake decision tonight! I know…my cold black heart is turning! I’ll try to toughen up!

Chris said...

yes, Dave, ironically it does. We are not in short supply of that...