Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

2 Weeks, Tomorrow

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been weighing very heavily the effect this move is having on my relationships. At first thought (I may have posted something on this before), I imagined my friendships here as being tied up in this process's aftermath - riding on the wake of my move and hoping to survive it. It is now becoming clear that the real risk lies in its dawn.

This is part of what has been on my mind:

If anyone very honestly (and very passionately) disagrees with what we are doing (that is, moving to NYC in 2010), then I am in uncharted territory. Of course there have been disagreements with plenty of close friends over the years, often on subjects of great importance. Those normally end in some kind of a draw where neither one concedes (nor feels devalued.) Or, the conflicts end with someone changing his mind and maybe even admitting to being wrong. Now, Amber and I embark on something that can not be considered morally right or wrong. Even logic, often a comforting fail safe for me, bends at the idea of doing something that we believe is God's will, whether it makes sense or not. So this new type of conflict can't be resolved the way I normally would. And this illustrates for me exactly what makes it such a big deal. I know that through all of the conversations I have with people regarding our move, the people who love us are only looking out for us.

So, I end up here:
Thank you to each cherished friend and family member who is supporting Amber and me in this process, even if by disagreeing with our decisions. We need you.

Thanks for checking in.
CBH

4 comments:

Kathy said...

So are there actually people who are telling you that you shouldn't move?! If this is where God is leading the two of you, why would you do anything different? If you don't go, you will always wonder "what if?". And if it doesn't work out, you can always return. But I can't imagine that you can't make it work.

Sarah said...

I think it speaks really well of you that you have friends willing to be honest about their concerns. To me, it means they value your friendship and have confidence in its endurance, even through strong disagreement. Thank God for friends like that (and I know you do thank him!).

Carter said...

Pfft. Bridges are for burning.

Kathy said...

True friends should give you their counsel, but true friends should also respect and support your decisions. I've always thought you belonged in New York City. You've just taken some detours on the way there. And how exciting that you won't go on this journey alone - God has sent you a wife to travel it with you.