Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

a very warm farewell

We arrived in Gainesville at around 4PM with a sleeping baby in the car. When I say the baby was Dinah, my future-niece, those who know her understand that this is not a trivial detail. Most car rides shared with Dinah end in terror, so I was feeling particularly fortunate. I was driving, so I took myself home and Amber and Harmony continued on to their house. On my mind - getting ready for our Lessons & Carols service the next morning.

Making the mental transition from a Disney birthday and time with Amber's parents took most of the car ride, but by the time we got back I felt ready to go. So, Rob Hamersma and I rode out to Oak Hall School, where my church meets, to set up the theater where we would have our service. We met Carter Davis and spent a little more than an hour setting up, after solving one of the problems cause by my keys' absence (they are resting on a counter top in Orlando.) As we headed home, I tried calling Amber to see what she was doing for dinner. She had told me that she needed to do something in my room for my Christmas present, so I knew she might be at the Hamersma's. I had no idea who else I would find when we got home!

As we rounded the corner in our neighborhood, there were plenty of cars parked on the street. Normally, I would be suspicious, but the neighbors have big parties sometimes, and I even thought I recognized some of the cars from previous events. So, by the time we walked to the door, I still hadn't figured out what was going on. When Rob opened the door, the first face I saw was my brother Matt's through a doorway to the kitchen. As I scanned the room, I saw one beloved friend after another. I have never been this surprised at a party thrown for me! It was a wonderful time to spend with so many people who I will miss dearly.

Thank you to Amber, Sarah, and to my brother and parents for coming from so far away to surprise me. I love you!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Love you too! :)

Kathy said...

We were so glad to be a part of it.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

boo. I wasn't there.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad it will make a great memory for you!