Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Working in New York: an Entrepreneur in the City

When I moved here, I imagined myself finding the right job very quickly and transitioning into it with ease. It never occurred to me that this would be easy, but expecting the worst is an expert way to fail. So what should I expect? When there are so many variables, it feels like we are almost always set up for disappointment. Things almost always end differently than the way I thought they would, and based on previous experiences I should be very stressed by now. But today I remember the promises of the one who made me. His plans are to prosper, not to harm. At the end of every season like this one, I find that I am better for the changes, especially the ones that took me by surprise. I have spent time waiting for things to go my way, and plenty of times they have. This time, I have chosen to expect God to provide for me in the way He chooses, even as I pursue what I think is best.

Time with Amber was great. We had plenty of time to spend together in the city and it made us excited to live here. I officially have "creative license" for choosing our city dwelling. You would think Amber would want to sign off on something before I sign a lease the size of an annual salary, but she is content to be satisfied with my choice. Now that is love. I never thought I would find someone like her.

An entrepreneur, you say? I am working as a freelance writer in New York, making an honest living (at least enough to scrape by), and I have prospects. Not what I planned on, but certainly not bad. I am poised to experience grace each day, and it feels good to be a free agent.

So how are you doing?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Scraping by in NYC as a newbie in a recession is something to be excited about :) And I am excited for you!