Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Your questions

I received some very good questions based on my last post, and I would like to address them all in time. First, I will answer my mother's, both because she asked first and because I think it will provide some good background.

Let me begin by disclosing the album I am listening to right now: Songs for Silverman, by Ben Folds. Possibly a masterpiece, but what do I know?

Freelance in NYC
A week or so ago I mentioned doing freelance while I search for full-time employment. As a courtesy to my clients I have chosen not to discuss the organizations specifically, but let me tell you about what I do for them. I am considered a content or copy writer.

Content Writer
I provide content and copy writing services for Web sites, print and radio/webcasts. Typically, a Web site begins with a basic structure and design and needs to be filled with words. This is a more complicated process than you might imagine. Many designers lack the time or proficiency to write effective copy.  My words are strategic, and my writing blends a variety of skills into one service that is in high demand nationwide.  So I begin by assessing the needs of the site. In some cases, they might go beyond writing.  If so, I include them in my recommendations to the site developer.  I research the organization, its industry and its market and I draft content.  The content of a site exists in a very awkward place in that it must be written for humans but engineered to perform well with algorithms used by search engines to deliver the content to people.  And of course, that is all changing each day, so I have enjoyed learning more about the future of Web content as I research to write.  In addition to Web sites, most companies create print materials or collateral to reinforce their presence online.  Brochures, business cards and informational packets are particularly useful at trade shows or conferences where large numbers of prospective clients or customers are gathered in one place, and I write for these publications as well.  Establishing a voice that is appropriate in tone and syntax to the people my clients are targeting is difficult, but it is the most important aspect of my services. My first client was a Web designer and Ecommerce site developer.

My education at UF and my experience qualifies me to do more than write, but I enjoy it most of all. If you know anyone in need of these services or if you don't know where to start, let me know.

All for now.  Next, I will address the void in my life that was created when Dan left.  Also, I have some thoughts on the very excellent questions about the church in New York and I will tell you about the one I have been attending.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks for the info :) Is there a place where we could see an example of your work, without disclosing the names of any clients?