Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Snow

So much snow. It falls haphazardly, though not without grace. Even when it comes down sideways, the wind carries it along with a certain elegance. No matter what path it takes, the snow comes in waves up here - relentless, unforgiving waves.

It isn't always dramatic. I listen to it at night - it sounds like popcorn bouncing off the inside of the bag just before it's time to take it out of the microwave. From my bedroom you can see the edge of our roof terrace. That is my barometer - if the snow resting on the ledge grew while I slept, it is still snowy enough on the street to wear boots. Of all the things I imagined this city to be, snow covered is not one of them. The weather has taken me by surprise, even after I prepared myself for a real winter. Manhattan is almost completely frozen, and so are we who skate across its streets and sidewalks.

As I understand it, most of my friends and family around the country got some snow last week, too. Cheers!