Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Working in NYC



I rose out of the subway this morning with a new perspective. Flatiron, named for an iron-shaped building where Broadway and Fifth Avenue intersect, is a lively place. As a tourist, I was never interested in it. Nothing in the area ever attracted me, and most subway lines that I rode as a visitor bypass it. As a new resident working in the city, I am thrilled to be learning the area and am enjoying its architecture and culture. Almost everyone you see on the street works somewhere nearby. In the morning the sidewalks are lined with the fast-paced crowds you see in movies. At lunch, people wander to corner cafes and delis for a quick break from their computer screens. Today I took my grilled vegetables, fruit and cheese from a nearby cafe with a hot and cold buffet inside to Madison Square Park. It was full of vibrant young professionals chattering about the day's troubles. Two girls next to me commiserated about their old boss and how he didn't understand their generation. At some point during that lunch, I looked up at the New York Life building's exquisite golden roof, the early spring sun warming my back and the droning, frustrated urbanites' banter sitting dull in my ears. In that moment I felt excited. Excited to be alive. Excited to be working. Excited to be in this place. Excited about our future.

There are days when I am not excited at all, and sometimes I feel like giving in to my fears and my desire to be in control. Up here, I have no choice but to surrender - either to my own fears or to the one who sustains me. Today, I was reminded of His goodness. And I am looking forward to the ways Amber and I will grow here.

My optimism usually comes in short bursts, but I will let you know how things are going. Also, I will share a link to my main client soon.

Thanks for keeping up with me. If you're reading and havent commented, I would love to know you're out there.

Chris

5 comments:

Amber said...

You know I'm always out there!...well I'm here...you know what I mean!

I love you and I can't wait either!!

Kathy said...

You describe it so well - I feel like I'm there.

Carter said...

I'm reading. Maybe.

Sarah said...

Feel very special...I am reading your blog right now on our first full day home with Lucas.

Will Collante said...

Hang in there Chris...I know what you are going through. NYC can be daunting, but you will have many opportunities that you will never have in gainesville ...as long as you know who sustains you, you will be fine:)
Will