Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Something in the walls


A noise has been hindering my sleep lately. I only hint at the source here for the sake of the squeamish reader, but I can tell you it sounds big. If you've ever dealt with rodents where you live, I wonder if your reaction is similar to mine. You just sort of recoil under your covers, hoping it doesn't come bursting through the wall or ceiling. You try beating the walls and yelling, exacerbating your fears of an intrusion and delighting your neighbors. Even now as I clumsily plod this post out on my cell phone, I find myself looking up periodically to make sure there's no breach. Now that it's quiet, I might not be able to sleep for fear that he is just silently skirting around my bedroom, plotting my demise as he chews holes on my favorite wool socks.

At this point you are probably thinking one or both of the following:

1. Chris has finally lost it. 

2. This post is a waste of my time. 

Sorry about that. I probably should have named it "Rats in New York." All I can say is if you're moving here you are going to deal with them one way or another.

If you made it this far into this post, take heart. I will have a silver lining for you tomorrow.

Chris

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Considering you grew up with mice under the floor boarda and in the walls here at home (a result of living in a house in the woods), I'm somewhat surprised you are afraid of what is making those noises in the wall now. I'm assuming you know for a fact that they are rats that are much larger and meaner than the field mice here.
Anyway, I hope you get some sleep. Try your earplugs.

Christopher Hiatt said...

Yes, those mice prepared me in some ways. But these things sound big.

cpl_miller said...

I kinda liked the title, nice eerie Edgar Allen Poe-esque feel to it

Sarah said...

Well, I bet this makes you glad you only heard stuff in our walls a couple of times :)