Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Movies in NYC

My wife and I love movies. At this point, I am not even ashamed to say we watch one almost every night. When I got to this city, I looked at the price tag for viewing a film on the big screen. Averaging $13 for an adult, paying for the movies here is no joke. But going to the movies here is like being reborn. Let me tell you why.

The screens are huge and clean. Most of them are DLP, which means there are no blemishes and scratches on the picture associated with a spool of film being used several hundred times. The seats are comfortable, and the theaters don't smell like vomit. Amber and I went to Times Square to see "Date Night" just before the bomb scare the weekend before last, and our theater had large, memory foam-padded captain's chairs with leather headrests. I didn't move an inch the entire hour and half, and I usually writhe around in agony as my tail bone gets more and more sore. IMAX theaters abound, and they are well worth the average of $17 you will pay for the experience. There are other reasons, I'm sure.

We just got a TV at our apartment, and it's a good thing because I would gladly bankrupt us on decadent cinema experiences in this city.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds luxurious - I'd rather pay $13 for that than $10 in Gainesville.

Was "Date Night" any good? Would it be worth Rob and I using up our own date night to go see it?

Christopher Hiatt said...

We went to it for our date night and were not disappointed. It was a little slow to start, but it's satisfactory at the end.

Amber said...

It was so funny!! Yes slow at first but it got so good!!