Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Let me tell you about my favorite pizza place

Grimaldi's pizza. Oh my. If you're one of those people who thinks New York is overrated, you would probably think this pizza is, too. Now that I think about it, you probably think this blog is overrated in that case. But if you did think that, you wouldn't be reading, so now I'm writing to no one. Getting back on track...

I will try to explain this in the most elemental terms, as this pizza has become elemental to my existence in New York. Eating Grimaldi's pizza is like rediscovering the ability to do something that is crucial to your existence. Take breathing, for example. If you suddenly remembered how to breathe, what types of emotions do you think you would feel? Energy. Refreshment. Confusion, maybe? How have you been living all this time without the ability to breathe? Astonishment that you're alive. Now imagine those emotions and feelings tied up in a pizza. I'm not kidding. When you eat this pizza, it amazes you down to the last bit of discarded crust on your friend's (or wife's) plate. And it's not that eating a single pizza at Grimaldi's is even that great. It's that after going there a dozen times, I am still delighted by each bite - even surprised by each slice's unique quality. It gets better each time, and it is easily more delicious than any of the other pizza places I have been to in New York.

So if you live here, or if you're moving here, and even if you don't care, go wait in line at Grimaldi's. It's well worth it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"So now I'm writing to no one," LMAO.

Grimaldi's-- I am all over it. May 2011.