Stories for my friends - Tips for strangers.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How do you judge a town?

My friend Dave just sent me a message. "Hmm...to judge a town on its Thai food or not?"

My answer is ABSOLUTELY! If a town doesn't have good Thai, it's probably not worth living there. Honestly think about it and tell me if you can disagree. Gainesville has outstanding Thai food. New York obviously does, too. I will never forget the day we got to Cafetasia in the East Village to find out that their daily special of $5 pad thai and $2 beer was gone.

If you think in terms of Thai, it makes all of the other complicated criteria that we base our decisions on seem trivial. If nothing else, you know you can cope with the less-than-ideal attributes of your city over some delicious dumplings. Well played, Dave. Well played.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eh, Thai is cool, but if you ask me, it's all about the pizza.

(Look at me, commenting all over your blog today.)

Christopher Hiatt said...

Seriously! Well are you are the most serious blogger I know, so it works.

You've got a good point. Pizza is definitely more important than Thai.